My Favorite Astronomy Links
Amateur Astrophotography Sites
- AstroMeeting - Photography by Stefan Seip
- Astronomy and Telescopes by Barry Carter. A Michigan resident's Web site showing all of his telescopes and photos.
- Astrophotography by Tom Matheson - Some nice planetary animations.
- Astrophotography with LX10, TV101, film, SX HX916, SX SXV-H9, and SBIG STV
- Cebu Astronomy - Christopher Go's Web site. Great planetary images.
- Dark Sky Images by Scott Tucker
- Doc G's Info Site
- Daniel S. Perry's Web site
- Samir Kharusi's astrophotography site.
- PROCYON Astronomy - A Dutch amateur astrophotography Web site.
- Russell Croman Astrophotography
- Site astro de Pierre Kaminsky - French language amateur site.
- Vanderbei Astrophotos - Astrophotos by Robert J. Vanderbei at Princeton University. A very nice site.
- Videoastronomy - Site by Paul Goelz that features astro photos using a video camera.
Astronomy Education and Research
- About Foucault Pendulums
- Good Astronomy Activities on the WWW
- Astronomy 161 The Solar System - University of Tennessee Astronomy Lectures
- Astronomy 162 Stars, Galaxies, and Cosmology University of Tennessee Astronomy Lectures
- Astronomy and Astrophysics at the University of Iceland _ Nice section on gravitational lenses.
- Astronomy Education Review
- Astronomy Notes - An on-line astronomy textbook.
- Cosmology Applet Copyright 2002 The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
- University of Michigan online astronomy labs.
- Discovery Channel Telescope Home page - Lowell Observatory
- Exploring Planets in the Classroom hands-on science activities
- Falling into a Black Hole - The physics of black holes from the perspective of one falling into a black hole..
- From Stargazers to Starships -NASA site that provides activities and lesson plans for the classroom
- Gravitational Lensing Theory - Introduction to gravitational lenses.
- Hands on Universe, Europe - astronomy education site.
- HyperPhysics - Physics education web site hosted by Georgia state University
- Images of Planetary Nebulae
- Rob Scharein's Java Applets related to astronomy
- Joint Astronomy Centre - James Clerk Maxwell Telescope and the United Kingdom Infrared Telescope
- Jodrell Bank Internet Observatory (JBiO) - a robotic radio telescope for european educators.
- Kepler Laws & Explorer 35 - Web version of an activity out of 'Contemporary Activities in Astronomy' by Darrel Hoff and Jeffrey Wilkerson
- KU Physics and Astronomy Department
- Mars Student Imaging Project - NASA related site for educators
- Multimedia Physics Studios - Glenbrook South High School. Glenview Illinois
- NASA - JPL Solar System Simulator
- National Research Council Canada - Astronomy Education
- Physcics Applets from the University of Oregon
- Open Source Physics Java Applets
- Planetary Science Research Discoveries PSRD - links for planetary and space sciences
- Robert J. Nemiroff's Home Page - Relativity Animations
- SolStation.com On-line star charts and downloadable PC charting application plus a few links to other sites.
- Spectra - Web site run by Dr. James Kaler that provides an introduction to stellar spectra.
- Spectroscopy Java Applet - Harvard University
- Stars and Constellations - provides an overview of the constellations and brighter stars.
- The educational encyclopedia, space java applets, space animations - index of astronomy related animations and Java applets
- University of Northern Iowa astronomy class Web site - has some Java applets and on-line quizes
- Warp Special Relativity Simulator - Application that simulates what it is like to travel at relativistic speeds. Very Cool.
Astronomy Links on the Web
- Astronomy and Space A to Z - An Alphabetical List To All Astronomy and Space Site Topics
- ICSTARS Astronomy Star Links
Manufacturers & Retailers
- Anacortes Telescope And Wild Bird
- APM Telescopes - German Telescope Maker
- Astronomy Equipment Vendors and Manufacturers
- Astronomy-Mall.com Home
- ASTROPTX For Celestron and Meade Telescopes, Binoculars and Spotting Scopes
- AstroSky - Makers of custom piers, adapter plates and Dobsonian telescopes from 10 to 20 inches.
- Computer Operated Telescopes - Site where amateurs can purchase telescope control hardware and software.
- eBay Store - Meade Factory Outlet and Category 1
- Hands on Optics - Retailer of Telescopes and Accessories
- ITE Telescopes - Russian made telescopes.
- Losmandy Astronomical Products
- Luxorion - Astronomy Related Product Index
- Melles Griot - Optical Components Manufacturer
- Optec, Inc. - Telescope accessory maker. Makes a line of photometers.
- Optic-Craft Machining - Telescope Mounts and Clock Drives
- Optical Filters and Optical Coatings by Andover Corporation
- Parallax Instruments - Makers of Telescopes and German Equatorial Mounts
- Philips ToUcam Accessories parts spares telescopes Scopetronix classifieds used secondhand eyepieces equipment
- Siebert Optics - Eyepieces and Binoviewers
- Sirius Optics
- Sturdy Telescope Mountings by Optic-Craft Machining
- University Optics Telescope Accessories, Telescope Accessories, Telescope Eye Pieces, University Optics
- William Optics - Maker of fine telescopes and mounts
- Woodland Hills Telescope. Retailer of telescopes and accessories
- www.alpineastro.com- Idaho based supplier of telescopes and accessories. US retailer for Baader Planetarium.
- www.astro-physics.com - Makers of high end german equatorial mounts.
Used and Surplus Equipment
- ASTROMART Classifieds
- Surplus Shed - Used telescopes and accessories
- Percival Lowell
- Wikipedia article about Percival Lowell
Astronomical Databases and Catalogs
- Extra-solar Planets Catalog
- Martindale's Astronomy, Astrophysics & Space Center Universe, Stars, Telescopes
- SAO Telescope Data Center
- Simbad Astronomical Database
- SkyView Virtual Observatory
- Sloan Digital Sky Survey - SkyServer
- The United States Naval Observatory - Home to the USNO star catalog
- NGC Objects Logged So Far on IAAC
- Revised Shapley-Ames Catalog of Bright Galaxies
- The Whole NGC
- Pages from historical atlas
- Linda Hall Library - Exhibitions
- Welcome to Willmann-Bell, Inc.
CCD Cameras and Web Cams
- Astronomical CCD & Night Vision Devices. Information on CCD chips and cameras
- Audine - astronomical CCD imaging. Web site of the Audine CCD camera kit.
- CADET homepage, calibration and deconvolution of astronomical images, image processing, CCD, Freeware, astronomy
- Capteur1 - French language site that describes the TC 255P and TC237 CCD chips
- CCD-237 camera - describes the TC237 CCD chip.
- Cookbook Camera Home Page - Companion web site to the book titled 'The CCD Camera Cookbook' by, Richard Berry, et. al.
- Equipment for CCD-astrophotography - A telescope and CCD camera maker.
- Flat Field Lightbox Notes - Shows how to build a lightbox for taking flat field frames with a CCD camera.
- Light Box - More tips on building a light box for CCD imaging.
- Ron Wodaski's Magic CCD Camera Calculator
- Super-Resolution Planetary Images - A must for any planetary imager.
- The New CCD Astronomy Home Page
- 'Easy' RAW mod for Philips and Logitech Webcams
- Astronomia - Astro photos by Sergio Saltamonti. Nice planetary images.
- Info on modifying a vesta pro web camera for long exposures.
- CCD vs. CMOS - Compares the CCD and CMOS web cameras.
- Greg Beeke's Webcam Mods - Detailed info on modifying web cams for long exposures.
- Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000 Long Exposure Modification - Keith Wiley explains how to make a long exposure modification to a QC 3000
- Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000 Modification - preface
- M. Burri's Web Cam Modifications and Astrophotos
- Quickcam Data - Lots of links to other Web site concerning web cams.
- Sarawak Skies - Webcam and Digital SLR Astrophotography from Singapore
- THE FIRMAMENT - astronomy webcam images and tutorials Moon, Planets, Messier, and Deep Sky objects
- ToUCam - IR-Filter. German site showing how to extract the IR filter from a ToUcam lens.
- Web Cam Adapter - The Mogg Adapter. Site where many different types of telescope adapters for Web cams can be ordered.
- WebCam astro images - Information on using modified web cams.
- Constellation Photos - Constellations - Digital Images of the Sky
General Information for the Beginner
- Amateur Astronomer's Notebook - Good site for the novice.
- Astronomy Education - How to use a telescope.
- Astronomy Awards -
- Astronomy Magazine, Star Charts, Space News-Astronomy.com
- Astronomy Picture of the Day
- HubbleSite - NewsCenter
- Live images of the Moon and planets
- NightSkyLive.net The Night Sky Live- See the night sky from several observatories around the world.
- SkyNews - Canadian Amateur Astronomy Magazine
- StarDate Online - Your Guide to the Universe
- Astro-nut home page - Paul Hyndman's Web site. Explains the use of the Hartmann mask for focusing.
- Making an Improvised Infrared Transmitting Filter
- Observational Astronomy Contents-Site Map. Links to lots of different topics with an emphasis on observing methods..
- AAL Homepage - Luxembourg Amateur Astronomers
- ASKC Main Index Page - The asronomical Society of Kansas City
- Association of Lunar & Planetary Observers
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific - Professional organization
- Manchester Astronomical Society Home Page
- Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS)
- The Astronomy Associates of Lawrence
- Charlottesville Astronomical Society
- The Planetary Society
- The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - For amateur and professional astronomers.
- Antilhue-Chile (Home)
- Astrophotography Articles
- Astrophotography by Jerry Lodriguss
- Astrophotography by John Punnett
- CCD Amateur Astronomy
- Celestial Wonders, Astrophotography by Frank Barrett
- Chris Hendren's Astrophotography
- Guide to Astrophotography
- Robert Reeves Schmidt Camera Astrophotography
- Shane's Astrophotos
- THE FIRMAMENT
- AAVSO CCD Observing Manual
- Optec, Inc. - Photometers
Software and Computer programming that is related to astronomy
- Aberrator.astronomy.net - Aberrator is freeware that generates star-testing images
- AIPS (Classic, not aips++)
- Alcyone Astronomical Software - ephemeris software
- Aquest, Inc. Home of PCFocus and FocusAide
- ASCOM Initiative
- AstroAlign - an alignment tool by Carsten Arnholm
- Astronomy software servers
- Astrophysics Source Code Library Archive
- AstroTips.com - Astronomy Software and Amateur Observation Resources Astronomy Freeware, Shareware and Commercial.
- AstroVideo -software for capturing and stacking video frames.
- CADET introduction, calibration and deconvolution of astronomical images, image processing, CCD, Freeware, astronomy
- CLEA SOFTWARE
- Computer Science-related resources
- Deepsky Astronomy Software - Observation planning and telescope control software.
- Diffraction Limited - Home of MaxIm DL image processing software.
- Download Partiview NVO @ Hayden Planetarium American Museum of Natural History
- Dutch Occultation Association
- Free Astrophotography Software
- Front Page -- www.arachnoid.com - Astronomy and other science related links
- FV - The Interactive FITS File Editor
- GuideDog - Autoguiding software for web cameras.
- Image Analyzer
- NIH ImageJ
- iMerge - Image-stacking and Mosaic-making program
- Iris software
- K3's Astronomy Home Page - Home of K3CCDTools. An image acquisition and processing package for Web cameras.
- Linux Astronomy HOWTO
- Lunar Eclipse Computer
- MLUnsold Digital Imaging - Home of Image Plus software. Has some good information on restorative techniques.
- Moontool for Windows - A program that displays the current phase information on the Moon by John Walker
- Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners
- Night Vision for Java Home Page
- OSLO - optical design software. An educational edition is available.
- polygonworlds - 3D Mars animations
- Prep - Interactive Image Preprocessor. Commercial application for correcting image defects.
- Quantum Image
- Realtime Spectroscopy Software - allows one to capture spectra with a video camera. Diffraction gratings are available through this web site.
- RegiStax - image stacking freeware
- SETI@Home Speedup Tips
- SkyChart / Cartes du Ciel
- Sky Charts, Free Astronomy software , Celestial atlas
- SPECTRUM - a stellar spectral synthesis program
- StarStrider - The 3D-planetarium from FMJ-Software
- Stellar Evolution on PC
- Stellar Magic - Freeware image processing program for astronomical images captured in FITS format.
- the ESO SkyCat Tool
- Visual Spec - home page
- WCSTools Image World Coordinate System Utilities
- Welcome to the Astrometrica Homepage
- Welcome to the New Astronomical Image Library!
General Planetary Astronomy and Images
- Arizona State University Planetary Exploration Laboratory
- Planetary Data System Home
- The Nine Planets
- MGS MOC Captioned Image Releases
- Planetary Data System - NASA site
- Planetary Image Repository
- Planetary Photojournal NASA's Image Access Home Page
- Big Bear Solar Observatory
- Photospheric Features
- SOHO-LASCO-EIT Real Time Movies
- NASA Solar Eclipse Page
- Apollo Image Atlas
- Clementine Lunar Map 2.0
- Lunar Orbiter Photographic Atlas of the Moon
- Inconstant Moon - Lunar resources and online atlas
- IMO Video Observers Page
- meteorobs - Meteor Observing Mailing List
- Peekskill Meteorite Car
- The Peekskill Fireball
- IAU Minor Planet Center
- Orbit Diagrams
- Science & Technology New study reveals twice as many asteroids as previously believed
- IAU Minor Planet Animations Page
- Developing the theory of continental drift [This Dynamic Earth, USGS]
- Millennium of Geomagnetism
- This Dynamic Earth--Contents [USGS]
- WHEN NORTH GOES SOUTH Three-Dimensional Simulation of Geomagnetic Field Reversal
- Mars Exploration Multimedia
- Mars Global Surveyor MOC2-299 Release
- MSSS Mars Image Directory
- Jupiter by Christopher Go
- PDS Jupiter Viewer 2.4
Space Agencies Nasa & ESA
- ESA Science & Technology Images and Videos
- A Digital Spectral Classification Atlas - R. O. Gray
- Forum for Amateur AstroSpectroscopy - Library Resources
- Laser Stars - History of Astronomical Spectroscopy
- NIST Atomic Spectros. - Compendium of Basic Ideas, Etc.
- Paton Hawksley Education Ltd, Nuffield physics transmission gratings
- Planetary Nebulae Spectra
- Spectrashift.com - amateur extrasolar planet search project
- Amateur Astronomical Spectroscopy
- Spectrograph design- A&S Rondi
- Spectroscopy, CCD and Astronomy
Telescopes and Amateur Observatories
- ASKC Powell Observatory Page
- Astro Note - Polar Alignment.
- Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews
- COAA Homepage - Amateur observatory - resort designed to give amateurs the chance to use larger telescopes. Located in Portugal.
- Computer Operated Telescopes
- Mapug-Astronomy Homepage for Meade Advanced Products Users Group of Amateur Astronomers Using Meade LX200 and other Meade Teles
- Weasner's Meade Autostar Feedback
- Yahoo! Groups LXD55telescopes
- STAR Astronomy - Telescope Making Links
- The ATM's Workshop - Home Page
- Optics - Brief discussions of many areas of optics.
- Thierry Legault - The collimation - Shows how collimation of a telescope's optics affect the sharpness of planetary images.
- Hubble ESA Information Centre - VIDEOS
- Hubble Space Telescope Picture Gallery
Spitzer Infrared Telescope
- Spitzer Space Telescope
Chandra X-Ray Observatory
- Chandra Multimedia Page
- Clear Sky Clock Homepage
- GEOSTATIONARY SATELLITE SERVER